Friday, February 22, 2013

Getting an Early Spring-Fix by Starting Seeds

I've mentioned in other posts that we are going to "do-it-up-big" in our garden this year, in hopes of moving toward more sustainable living. We are trying to get off on the right foot in a lot of ways to ensure success. One thing I'm doing this year that I haven't bothered to do before is start seeds indoors. I always hear around this time of year that Northwest gardeners should start seeds indoors to extend the growing season.

Well, all my seeds came in the mail recently, so I bought some growing light bulbs and lamps, as well as self-watering trays and set them all up on a plastic shelving unit in a bath-tub we rarely use. Voila! A little indoor greenhouse!

However, when I looked online at which can, and should, be started indoors I was a little disappointed. Out of all my seeds (beans, cucumbers, radishes, peas, spinach, corn, pumpkins, cabbage, broccoli) ~ all I have is cabbage and broccoli that they suggest starting indoors at this time. (My tomato and pepper plants are coming as starters in April, and potatoes, onions and garlic will be planted as starters as well.)

Oh, well. At least it gave me some experience with the process. Here's my set up.

The lamps on top were just cheapies from Home Depot, but the bulbs are growing lights that only cost a few dollars, and the tray is the Burpee XL Ultimate Growing System. The peat pellets are in the container already and the instructions are very clear on how to layer the watering mat and risers under the plant tray and fill from the bottom with water. It has stayed moist all week without a re-fill.

I have extra peat pellets below for staggering some starters through the beginning of the season.

(On the left you can see a couple celery stalks that I am re-growing after we bought them at the store and ate the tops of the stalks. On the back right is an avocado pit I am trying to grow. Down below I also show a close-up of how I'm storing my seed packets this year - I am reusing a baby formula tub! It clips shut to keep them dry and works wonderfully to stand them all up in alphabetical order. I'm quite pleased with it.)


 
The seed packets said 10-21 days until germination, but after 5 days here is what we found!!!
 
I'm pretty excited about the prospects of starting my garden with these little seedlings, but I'm almost concerned they are going to get too big for their little pots before the weather will allow me to put them outside!!

Has anyone else started seeds indoors this early? What was your experience? Please share some tips and hints below!!

No comments:

Post a Comment