Friday, February 15, 2013

My love affair with Pinterest - Really, How I think Pinterest has enhanced my life

Pinterest, at first, overwhelmed me! I couldn't figure out what in the world all these "ads" were all over the page and why were there so many of them!? So... very... many... I couldn't even scroll through them all! They were never-ending. At last, a good friend came along side me and sat me down and showed me how to use Pinterest for my benefit. (Thank you, Jennifer.)

Once I realized what I could do, Pinterest became this out-of-the-closet Organization Freak's DREAM!! Scrolling through pages and pages of what I first thought were ads and now understood were people's good ideas that they wanted to remember, was fun and inspiring!

But, then, Pinterest scared me... People were following me! <read in whisper voice> I immediately started to look for a way to kick those people off my page. Why are they following me? Who are they!? What if I don't want them there?? There is no way to do this. No way I found anyhow. So, I just settled in and got used to the idea that others, in fact, valued the same things I did and wanted to see the things I had found.

Soon, I started getting excited each time I logged on and my "Followers" number had risen! Indeed, I got a little puffed up and proud of myself ~ as if it were some reflection on my personal value. I write of this in the past tense, when really, honestly, I still get a little excited when I get more followers.

Right now I have 117 Followers, and am Following 197. I have 1,823 (!!!) pins, spread over 39 boards. "Thirty-nine boards?!," you say? Okay, perhaps it is a little much. But the recipes category was getting a little full, so I broke it down into different types of recipes.

My boards are: Recipes, Recipes - Breads, Recipes - Slow Cooker, Recipes - Sweet Stuff, Recipes - Veggies as Sides, Recipes - Canning, Recipes - Salads, Recipes - Breakfast Foods, Recipes - Appetizers & Finger Foods, Gardening, Chickens, Goats, Home Making, Crafts / Project Ideas, Sewing, Knitting & Crochet, <3, Parenting, Baby, Kid Stuff, Homeschool, Teaching Resources, Holidays, Holidays - Fall, Holidays - Christmas, Beautiful Pictures, Dream Home, Europe, Doors, Movies, Sports, Music, Books, Camping, Photography, Health & Fitness, Words, Mish Mosh, and lastly, because it is least: My (barely existent) Style.

In the end, all of this would be useless fluff if I didn't really use it. And, I'm happy to say, I have! I truly believe Pinterest has actually enhanced my life. I have become very inspired toward Sustainable Living with all of the information I've seen on making my own bread, raising animals, sewing, etc. I have learned a ton that I am applying in my home (I'm cleaning with vinegar for the first time ever), garden (you should see the plans I have), and health (honey and cinnamon for a sore throat actually works!). I have tried countless recipes, many that my family loves and we now make regularly.

Here is the most recent recipe we tried. I made it yesterday for dinner. It was pinned by an old high school friend (thanks, Cliff), and comes from My Daily Dish blog.

Beer Can Crockpot Chicken
4-6 Chicken Breasts or 1 Whole or cut up Chicken
1 Can of any kind of Beer
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Basil
1/2 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
*You can use whatever spices you like
Put all ingredients into crockpot

If frozen cook on high 4-5 hours or low 8-10
If fresh cook on high 3-4 hrs or low 7-8 hours

We love making the grill version of this in the summer, in which we use a bit of butter on the bird, too. I think I will add that next time I make it in the crock pot.

Hope you enjoy!
Happy Pinning to my Pinterest friends. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment