Monday, February 18, 2013

Here chick-chick-chick!!

We got our chickens today!

There are three of them: two copper colored and one black. I tried to convince the boys to let me name them Pepper, Paprika and Ginger & post a sign that said, "The Spice Girls." But they wouldn't go for it. (There is something terribly amusing to me about naming chickens for spices I would eat them with.)

So, in the end, I only got to name one little girl: Paprika. My oldest boy named his copper beauty "Madam Flappy" for the obnoxious way she beats him with her wings when he tries to pick her up. I get a kick out of it, so "Madam Flappy" it is! (Plus it reminds me of the perky grandma squirrel on The Animaniacs cartoons, and that makes me smile.) My younger son made the logical connection that his chicken is black and steel is black, so she gets the strong name of the group: Steel.

Paprika, Flappy, & Steel:


Paprika is actually a Buff Coronation Sussex, Flappy is a Red Star Sex-link, and Steel is a Black Star Sex-link. I've read that they are all well-suited to be backyard chickens, are docile and high producers. (Their previous owners collected 6 eggs just this morning!)

We enjoyed watching them get adjusted to their new home this evening. They are very laid-back. I'm curious to see if they feel so comfortable that they will lay tonight or tomorrow... we'll see! The adventure begins!!

Check out my coop here.

No comments:

Post a Comment